The first cornerstone, Me, is the quality of our individual thinking. It is the sum of our intellectual, philosophical and spiritual illumination. To build on this cornerstone, disconnect from all distractions. Take time for personal study and reflection on those topics that are most important to you.
The Me habits are all the things we do to develop our mind-set. This concept of combined thoughts, beliefs and feelings might be captured in the Latin phrase fiat lux, which means let there be light, or translated another way, let light be made. This phrase goes to the core of intellectual, philosophical and spiritual illumination.
Try one of these Me habits today, or create your own:
- Write down an ethical standard and follow it. (For example, kindness, generosity, integrity and so on.)
- Create a vision board with pictures of your future.
- Read for _______ hours every week in your chosen area.
- Enroll in a course at the local community college.
- Practice yoga.
- When a negative thought comes, think of something positive.
- Spend _______ hours outdoors every week and connect with nature.
- Write in a “gratitude journal” every night.